According to UNDP’s (United Nations Development Program) 2020 Human Development Report, India currently ranks 131 in the gender inequality index. This is alarming for not just the women of our country but the entire nation as well. While there are many negative impacts of gender inequality, the less discussed self-care, is impacting their health.
Self-care is commonly ignored by women of the country due to the responsibilities they share and societal pressures too. While an increasing number of women are walking with men shoulder to shoulder, self- care for women is still considered a ‘selfish’ act in many households.
Here are a few reasons to start practising self-care right away and the effect it will have on your daily life.
- Self-care Enhances Self-esteem: It is a known fact that when you look good, you feel good. Self-care helps you to focus on yourself and make yourself feel loved. When we invest in our bodies and minds to appreciate ourselves, we increase our self-esteem and believe in ourselves more than before. This can bring a positive change to your personal as well as professional life.
- Helps You Become More Aware of Your Personal Needs: We are all unique individuals with unique needs. Just like your dietary needs, your mind needs specific care as well to maintain your mental health. Whether it is reading a book, watching documentaries, actively participating in social media or even yoga, self-care helps you to fulfil your personal needs to enhance the quality of your life.
- Bring Out Your Creative Side: To perform and give your best output at work or at home, you need to be well-rested. Practising self-care gives you a feeling that you are being cared for. If you organize your week and plan some fun activities for your weekend, you will be motivated at your work as well. Self-care also brings out your creative side since your mind is well-rested and is now ready to shoot some brilliant ideas!
- Self-care Translates into Better Family Care: This is for all those women out there who think they should compromise on their health over family needs. However, numerous studies suggest that women who indulge in self-care are more conscious of their family’s health and well-being. Thus, when you indulge in self-care, you’re not just doing yourself a favour but to your family and loved ones too.
- Impact on Population: It is no coincidence that many countries with the highest gender inequality face the biggest problems of population explosion. While talking about women’s health care, women’s reproductive and seexual health is often forgotten or, at best, discussed in closed silos. While the male condom is a popular form of contraception, many women still don’t know that they can take charge of their pregnancy by opting for other contraception methods. Unwanted 21 days, regular oral contraceptive tablets to be taken for 21 days regularly can help sexually active women delay their pregnancy. Moreover, they can get pregnant by stopping the pills.
Women and self- care is not talked about enough in our society, even today. Celebrating women has been limited to just the women’s day or when we see a popular hashtag movement. However, it is time that we women take charge of our health and put ourselves, and our health needs first and march towards a better tomorrow.
Disclaimer: This blog solely intended for educational/informational/awareness purposes and is not a substitute for any professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your doctor/healthcare professional before acting on the information provided on the blog. Reliance on any or all information provided in the blog, is solely at your own risk and responsibility. Mankind Pharma Limited shall not be held liable, in any circumstance whatsoever.